Sandra Waddock joins us in our AGM on the 27th May. To give an insight to her work here is an article she published in 2020.
This article offers a framework for economics that affirms life to replace the flawed yet dominant paradigm of neoliberal economics. Building an argument for a new set of core memes— core ideas that are the building blocks of stories and narratives (like neoliberalism)—this article presents a proposed set of economics memes that support life drawn from a wide range of sources. The framework’s six memes are:
- stewardship of the whole;
- co-creating collective value;
- governance through cosmopolitan-localism;
- regeneration, reciprocity, and circularity;
- relationship and connectedness; and
- equitable markets and trade,
all of which are consistent in supporting other recent economics framings like ‘doughnut economics’.
Keywords: economics; neoliberalism; neoclassical economics; new economics; sustainability; memes;