“… the arts have proven time and again to be a bridge that can win hearts and mind in a different way to politics and business, thus culture change can really occur in a real and measurable way.”
Hi my name is Steve Mortimer.
I am involved in a mixed media group of artists working on a project called Connect – a creative response to climate change.
The Black Chapel Collective are a creative group of musicians, video artists, film makers, DJ, s, rappers, dancers, and poets all passionate about the current impacts of Climate Change.
We have spent the last two years working on a new, exciting, transformative, and contemporary Arts Project called “Connect”.
“Connect” is a culturally relevant, dynamic, inclusive, and accessible event that specifically deals with and addresses the critical environmental challenges the world now faces in 2021.
In the project we look to address and engage in these themes by using the arts as a way of both telling our 13.8 billion years global, planetary and Universe story and celebrating that with all its magnificent, beauty and diversity but also challenging us to reflect upon and challenge our human interference and the inevitable consequences of that.
As we know the arts have proven time and again to be a bridge that can win hearts and minds in a different way to politics and business, thus culture change can really occur in a real and measurable way.
Using a hybrid of contemporary music, visuals, computer graphics, speech samples, poetry and dance “Connect” addresses the environmental crisis in a modern language that a younger culture both engages with daily and understands intimately as part of their cultural DNA.
We have a comprehensive portable ready to go package that can be delivered to events, incorporating the following adaptable and flexible resources at our disposal –
- A fully produced International Award-Winning film that can be either screened in full or a bespoke 15-minute version for Q & A thereafter.
- A full ready to go, plug in and play bespoke live multimedia performance combining all the elements of sound, visuals and graphics that make this project so powerfully engaging.
- A fully produced album to be released in November 2021
- The support of our record label RemarQabl for partnerships
The Connect project is influenced, incorporates and driven by:
- The current science on climate change
- Contemporary, new, and exciting media that both includes and is relevant to young people but does not exclude any age, culture, gender, sexual orientation, or belief.
- A wide input from differing faith traditions including indigenous cultures who clearly offer centuries of wisdom, guidance, and input.
- Inclusivity – A participatory involvement and a celebration from a widely diverse range of artists across differing ages, faith traditions and gender orientations.
- Utilising all forms of social media to increase reach, the ability to stream live, and /or post produce.
The synergies of all these elements give our project a solid grounding in science, a stewardship model from religion, an authentic inclusive (not exclusive) experience and a creative explosion of multimedia – which is critically now the currency that young people understand and act upon.