I have written previously for “VoiceForArran” on Greenwashing (Greenwashing is all the Rage October 2021) and on the principles which are in The Green Claims Code explained in Chapter 3 of the CMA’s (Competition and Markets Authority’s):
- claims must be truthful and accurate
- claims must be clear and unambiguous
- claims must not omit or hide important relevant information
- comparisons must be fair and meaningful
- claims must consider the full life cycle of the product or service
- claims must be substantiated
However, my latest extremely urgent concerns are about CARBON OFFSETTING, and these frequently are related to trees, and peat landscapes, especially now in the rush to buy up land in Scotland. To set the record straight, we need to break down why carbon offsetting is a false solution to the climate crisis and how it is being used for greenwashing by those who want to keep on with business as usual.
What is offsetting?
Carbon offsetting is a licence to keep polluting, and distracts us all from the real work of cutting emissions. It is where companies and governments try to meet their carbon reduction targets by securing, preserving and promoting carbon fixation elsewhere while still emitting carbon from existing activity. Some will say that my view is a cynical view! After all the carbon cycle is the driver of all life on earth including human life.