I am is a research scientist and an entrepreneur with background in Food and Environmental Microbiology and I am an experienced founder with 7 successful startups since 2007.
Executive Director/Co-Founder at Community Action Against Plastic Waste (CAPws), a social enterprise for the largest global community of youths and youth-led organisations advancing circular plastic economy for prosperity of all people and our planet in over 21 countries across Africa, Asia and Latin America and Caribbean. CAPws.
I’m working with over 3000 marginalised youths and women in low-income and disadvantaged communities in partnership with Empower.eco (a Norwegian blockchain startup) through an incentive based and technology driven plastic waste management program. Since June 2021, CAPws has recovered and recycled over 70000 kg of plastic waste in its over 50 Activation Hubs.
I am also the Founder and Lead Partner at Ecoxfood, a startup using mobile app solution to address the challenges at the intersection of food waste, food security and environmental sustainability. Ecoxfood is an innovative digital solution supporting farmers, food manufacturers and retailers to reduce food loss and waste by connecting their food produces or products to consumers that are in need realtime. The inspiration behind Ecoxfood is the fact that according to FAO, the global food waste is currently estimated to be one-third of the total global food production (approximately 1.3 billion tonnes of food) which is enough to feed 2 billion people yet over 800 million people are hungry in 2020 and this number is on the rise due to the effects of coronavirus pandemic. In addition global food waste is also contributing around 8% – 10% GHG emissions to global warming and climate change which is causing millions of world most vulnerable populations to lose their lives and livelihoods.
My education includes being a Waste Management Sustainability Fellow at the Lagos Business School and also an alumni of the University of Ilorin, Connell University, Ellen MacArthur Foundation and The African Leadership University.
In addition I am also:
- an Ambassador for Ocean Plastic Leadership Network (OPLN),
- a member of the Advisory Council of Young Professional in Agricultural Development (YPARD) Nigeria,
- Youth Advocate for #Act4Food #Act4Change campaign led by Global Alliance for Improved Nutrition and Food Foundation, and
- a member of Community of Practice on African Fogotten and Underutilised Food at Forum for Agricultural Research in Africa (FARA).
- the Founding Chair and Co-Contact Point of Circular Economy Working Group at YOUNGO, the official youth constituency of United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC),
- Focal Point for Food Systems Working Group of Children and Youth Major Group of United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP-MGCY)
and I am currently leading the African Plastic Coalition, an intervention aimed at uniting and reaching out to African CSOs in support of Global Plastics Treaty ahead of UNEA 5.2 in Nairobi by February 2022.